Pages

Monday, December 17, 2012

Bedrest...BOOOOOOO!!!!!

Yes...unfortunately this is a picture of me...IN the hospital...AGAIN! 

These girls with me are my two Amy-ies (they both are named Amy).  The one on the far right, you might remember from our birth story post.  She was the one who helped deliver Briggs.  And the one in the middle is my new special nurse friend.  She took care of me when I went in during this pregnancy at 27 weeks and she had me during this admission (last week) too.  We connected and are now, just like old friends :)


Most of you read this post that says I was already progressing.  Justin and I went in the next day (Wednesday) b/c I didn't feel right and kept having contractions...I am now 1.5 cm dilated, 70% thinned at 32 weeks.  They sent me to Labor & Delivery and put me strait on Magnesium...some nasty stuff...BUT, it did the trick and stopped my contractions.

There was some pretty quick juggling.  Let me start by saying...WE ARE SO BLESSED with wonderful friends and family who helped to make this experience a little less stressful.  Briggs' school is wonderful and worked closely with us to get him where he needed to be and when.  Our neighbor picked him up, Aunt Celeste and Uncle David, dropped everything and kept Briggs overnight at our house.  My mom was in Baton Rouge keeping my sisters kids, but came to the rescue as soon as she could get away.  I'm telling ya...this whole experience is brought to a whole new level when you have a little one at home!

Thankfully we were pretty prepared.  I already had a plan for Briggs, we just had to implement it, bags were packed for Justin and I (he just had to come home and get them), both of the boys rooms are pretty together, baby clothes washed and in the drawer, and Christmas presents have been brought and wrapped for a month now (bc I was afraid this might happen).

Currently, we are at home, on pretty strict bedrest.  I'm basically parked on the couch all day b/c even standing for short spurts, I start contracting.  Swindle said if I can't get them to stop within an hour get up there quick so they can stop the labor.  We have almost had to go back twice since I've been home!  If I have to go back up there OR if my water breaks, the hospital is my home until Parker comes.  THAT makes me sick to my stomach to think about having to spend Christmas in the hospital away from Justin and Briggs...  I'm trying to focus on the positives. I am SO THANKFUL I'm at home right now and even though I'm really restricted, at least I can be here to watch Briggs.  We put a stool by the couch so he hops up here with me throughout the day and I get lots of snuggle time when he wakes up and is ready to sleep.  I can't pick him up...I have a strong correlation to contractions when I even tug on him any.  So I have to wait for somebody to give him to me when he his crying and all that, which is kind of hard, but at least I'm here when he needs me and not stuck in the hospital.

I'm now taking procardia (for contractions) every 4 hrs.  They sent me home on it every 6 hrs, but my contractions kept getting bad, so I called and they moved it up to every 4.  So far, that's maintaining things. 

We haven't officially "announced" these changes because things have been changing so quickly since Wednesday of last week.  We have honestly just been trying to keep our heads above water around here.  Trying to get Briggs settled with a plan, getting the basics done at home with laundry and some food in the frig,  us packed back up again, IN CASE, we have to go back... and on top of that, I haven't felt awesome since the hospital. 

Specific prayer requests...
  • Briggs' adjustments during this time of transition
  • Make it to 37 weeks with Parker (I'm 33 now)
  • Mom to be here when Parker arrives (she wasn't able to be here when Briggs was born)
  • No progression from here until we are in a safe window for Parker
  • Clarity for us to know when/if we need to go back to hospital
  • Not needing to return to the hospital (this one makes me cringe every time I think about being away from my family during all this...I don't know if I could handle it)
I've been asked many times how I'm doing...
This has been quite the rollercoaster of emotions and we are pretty bummed for many reasons, but this is the road we are on...AGAIN :(   There is a constant fog of worry over me (even though I'm trying to fight it).  My mom is here at the moment...THANK GOODNESS, but with Christmas coming up..she will be traveling back and forth from Florida some.  Every twinge, ache or pain is stressful at this point.  I think the worst part is the dread and reality of having to spend time away from my guys and in the hospital but also balancing when to take action and do what is best for Parker.  Then the reality of slowing your activity level from min-moderate to practically zero...I'll just leave it at that.  It's so hard when you're a "doer" and you have to ask for and accept help for everything.  Bedrest with Briggs wasn't fun, but at least Justin and I were able to make it with just us.  Since we have Briggs, we require much more assistance and are having to just ask for it.  We have had so many people offer their time so graciously and I can't even put into words how blessed and loved we feel right now.  It is a very helpless position to be in, but we are thankful to be surrounded by such a great support system.
You all know I don't want to end my post this way, all negative nancy...

So let's end with the things we are so very thankful for...
  • being  proactive and catching things early
  • Parker is at a viable age, would just spend some time in NICU, wouldn't come home with us and would have a few challenges which we would work through
  • We are all at home together right now
  • We have such wonderful medical care at our hospital and they are doing a great job staying on top of things
  • So thankful for my mom and her dropping EVERYTHING to practically move in with us, run our household and take care of Briggs...I don't know how I can ever thank her enough.
  • And our friends who have also been supportive and have cared so well for our little boy.
  • I went back for a recheck today and had closed up some..I'm now 1 cm and 50% thinned!  I really needed that good news to help me settle down...now to just maintain that for a few weeks!
I will try and do better at updating from here.  None of this was a secret or anything and with social media, it's easier to get the word out, it's just weird when YOU are the one the message is about.   How to share info with others and what to share, while focusing on how to get better and keep things going as smoothly as possible...anyway, for now we are doing ok.  My mom is here for the week and at this point, every day Parker can stay put, the better.

...until next time

No comments:

Post a Comment